Monday, August 1, 2011

Blueberry Zucchini Heaven



When I taste tested this bread, right out of the oven, I wasn't so sure the recipe, from All Recipes, was going to be a keeper. But we'll get into that in a minute. Click over to the recipe at allrecipes.com for the instructions. The ingredients are pretty straight forward- the usual bread ingredients plus our zucchini and blueberries. I did add about a half a cup of walnuts. Does that mean I can claim credit for an original recipe? Oh, well, just asking.




I'm not going to do an entire tutorial:  I frankly don't have that kind of time today and the recipe is linked above. So I guess that makes this more of a recipe review than anything else. As I mentioned, the "keeper" status of this recipe was initially in doubt. The bread, while fresh and warm from the oven, had an odd, almost tin flavor going on. Not wanting to jump to judgement on something like Blueberry Zucchini Bread, I let the bread cool. Ahhh- much better. We're thinking it was the blueberries that tasted "over the top" while the bread was still really warm. Slather on some butter or cream cheese and we're golden.


I had been thinking I would get the loaf out and try for some better photos than what I had quickly snapped off when the bread was first out of the oven. Then I looked over at my husband just in time to see him down the last bit of the bread. "You gotta make some more of this some time." He said, licking his fingers. Spending the night in the 'frig seemed to help the bread's flavors develop and it turned out to be a nice recipe.




Mmmm- look at those pretty blueberries and the lovely zucchini bits. Keeper!!

So get some zucchini out of the garden before they are as big as a car and bake up a couple loaves of this bread: one for you, one to share. Or two for yourself, it's your call.


Thanks so much for flittering by today. Be sure to flitter on back.

2 comments:

  1. This is an amazing combo... wow... I need to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now THIS looks like a great idea! I have a zuccini bread recipe to which i add a touch of chocolate and i think the blueberries will fit in perfectly! Thank you for the great tip.

    Just tried a zucchini "mock apple pie" - NOT a keeper - no matter HOW long it is kept in the frige!
    So next up - your brilliant idea! I KNOW it will be delicious.

    ReplyDelete